Saturday, October 25, 2008

Quick, easy and USEFUL gift


Yesterday was my mother-in-law's birthday, so I had to make her something, right? We aren't celebrating her birthday until tomorrow... but, this is what I have so far and I couldn't be happier!!

I decided to make her a small hot/cold pack, because she has trouble with her hands aching a lot. And, I also made her a larger one that she can heat up and put in the foot of her bed to keep her warm when she first gets into bed (kind of like folks used to - and my grandmother still does - use hot water bottles)! She's cold natured, so I think she'll appreciate that!! This one is made with rice and vanilla essential oil. The larger one has a flannel cover that is just an envelope style.




The smaller one, I made using lavender essential oil with whole kernel feed corn. The external cover closes with velcro. The really cool thing about this one is that I used left over fabric from my youngest daughter's first Halloween costume! She (the baby - who is .. now ... 5 - oh, my!) picked the fabric - I think that is cute!



In addition to these little hot/cold bags, we've gotten her some nice lotions and a reed diffuser (I bought one of these for my bathroom and let me tell you - it is nice! I love it!! I hope that she'll like it as well). Now, I think that I'm going to make her an apron ... if I do - I'll share - if not, it's on the agenda for Christmas!!!

Funny thing about the hot/cold bags - as soon as I made these for my Mother In Law - my girls each requested one! So, of course, I made them each one. And, each of them have curled up with them to settle down for the night! How cute.....
Oh ... side note .... I think that I like the feed corn bags MUCH better than the rice ... just in case you wondered ;-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm planning on a whole bunch of these for holiday gifts and am interested in how you incorporated the essential oil with the corn. Also, any construction hints you have would be great.

Thanks!!