Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Dye-Na-Flow, slime and UFOs

Today, while purchasing a gallon of glue (more on that later), I bought the Dye-Na-Flow Exciter set. I just knew that I had to have them .... and now that I do, I'm wondering how the heck I'm supposed to use them? It's times like this that I hate that I'm a 'lone' fabric 'artist' (not that I see myself as an artist, mind you -but, what else can I call myself? I don't really like fabric 'crafter' ... whatever - moving on....) - meaning that I have no one locally with whom to discuss fabric creations/techniques/ideas with. All that being said - and I know you know what is coming next - I need YOUR help! Tell me how YOU use Dye-Na-Flow!

Now - on to the glue. Sarah, my 5 1/2 year old, has this 'project' book that she's been reading and she has found several 'recipes' that she wants to make. Wait until you hear the yummy concoctions that we'll be preparing this weekend. We'll start with colored silly putty! And, for good measure, we'll make slime. Yes, slime! Doesn't it sound exciting? Actually, I think it will be lots of fun! I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would ever have occasion to purchase and entire gallon of glue. I guess we will be set for a while for glue! Luckily, with two girls that love making things - I'm sure we'll use it!

I also bought a few more dyes today. Hopefully, I'll find some time to dye some more fabrics this weekend, as well. I have 6 yards of fabric waiting to be dyed. I am not dyeing nearly the volume as some people, but I'm just starting. Tommy has given me some wonderful tips - I hope to use some of them this weekend.

I still have two quilts to do the quilting on. I need to work on that this weekend as well. Actually, I have 3 - I have a crazy quilt that I did some time ago, featuring a picture of my daughter. I'll have to take a picture of it and post it sometime.

It's sad, really, that I have so many unfinished projects. Certainly, I am not the only one, right? Please tell me that you, too, have MANY unfinished projects!! It might be easier to complete projects if I didn't stay on here reading so many blogs! I have a few that I simply MUST read each day, lest my day feel incomplete! Speaking of ... I have a couple more to go before bedtime!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thank you for the comment on my quilt....and I love dye-na-flow... like them best on wet fabric you can get them to flow by applying a a "line" of paint and then hanging the wet fabric and letting the paint run.....or layer multiple wet fabric and apply the paint and look at the surprise you get when they dry.....also....I do not have kids at home any more ...and I would be willing to bet that that is true for most of the blogs and websites you see...so don't be too hard on your fabric UFOs cause the most important UFOs you have at the moment are those kids!!! Ginger

Deb Hardman said...

I was told when I 1st started out quilting, that your not a true quilter unless you have at least 6 unfinished quilts in the works at once, & I've far exceeded that number!
It sounds like you have at least 2 little artists in your house that are quite willing to play with you. Keep encouraging that.
I don't have any Dynaflo, but i have at least 4 other brands of textile paints that I have painted everything from fabric to Tyvek & fusible web with it. The Tyvek looks neat with metallics on it, cut organic leaf shapes & hit with heat (use a press sheet), it looks leathery. The fusible web is fun to add as a texture on ATC's & other art pieces. Your bag is great!!& I love how you quilted it. Very nice!